Thursday 19 July 2007

One night at call centre-by Chetan Bhagat

Here friends......... I am quoting a few lines from the excerpt of Chetan's second book that is yet to come to the market.Though I haven't had the priveledge,yes I now consisder it to be a priveledge... to have read his first book.."five point someone",his writing seemed very captivating to me .
...........................................................................................................................................................................

But this night was different.
Firstly, my compartment was empty. The railways had just started this new summer train and nobody knew about it.
Secondly, I was unable to sleep.I had come to IIT Kanpur for a talk.

Before leaving, I drank four cups of coffee in the canteen chatting with the students. Bad idea, given it was going to be boring to spend eight insomniac hours in an empty compartment. I had no magazines or books to read. I could hardly see anything out of the window in the darkness. I prepared myself for a silent and dull night. Of course, it was anything but that.

She walked in five minutes after the train had left the station.
She opened the curtains of my enclosure and looked puzzled."
Is coach A4, seat 63 here?” she said.
The yellow lightbulb in my compartment had a mood of its own. It flickered as I looked up to see her.
"Huh..,” I said as I saw her face. It was difficult to withdraw from the gaze of her eyes.
.....................................................................................................................................................


"Hi,” she said and looked at me for a few seconds, "Chetan as in...I don't know, your name sounds familiar.

"Now this was cool. It meant she had heard of my first book. I am recognized rarely. And of course, it had never happened with a girl on a night train.
"You might have heard of my book - Five Point Someone. I am the author,” I said.

"Oh yes,” she said and paused, "Oh yes, of course. I have read your book. The three underperformers and the prof's daughter one, right?” she said.
"Yes,” I said, "So how did you like it?"

"It was all right,” she said.

I was taken aback. Man, I could have done with a little more of a compliment here.
"Just all right?” I said, obviously fishing a bit too hard.
"Well,” she said and paused.
"Well what?” I said after ten seconds.
"Well. Yeah, just all right...ok ok types,” she said.
.....................................................................................................................................................................



"I might have a story idea for you,” she said, almost startling me.
"Huh?” I was wary of what she was going to say. For no matter what her idea was, I had to appear interested. "What is it?"

"It is a story about a call center.”

"Really?” I said," Call centers as in business process outsourcing centers or BPOs?"
"Yes, do you know anything about them?"

I thought about it. I did know about call centers, mostly from my cousins who worked there.
"Yes, I know a little bit,” I said, "Some 300,000 people work in the industry. They help US companies in sales, service and maintenance of their operations. Usually younger people work there in night shifts. Quite interesting, actually.”

"Just interesting? Have you ever thought of what all they have to face?” she said, her voice turning firm again.
"No,” I said.
"Why? They aren't the youth? You don't want to cover them?” she said, almost scolding me.

"Listen, let's not start arguing again..."
"I am not. I told you that I have a call center story for you.

”I looked at my watch. It was 12.30 a.m. A story would not be such a bad idea to kill time, I thought."Let's hear it then,” I said.

"I can tell you. But I have a condition,” she said....................................

No comments: